Thursday, September 19, 2013

Be a Safe Runner

This morning I woke up to a post on Facebook from a good runner friend back in Ohio that a kind police officer pulled up beside her during her run to warn her. He explained that the residents near her home were not happy about her running and often call to complain. She lives in a small farm town and this made me feel very sad for her. For runners running gives us so much more than just a good workout. I have often talked about what running gives me in my life. I have been injured recently and forced to do a lot of resting... it is killing me. I know its good for me but I still hate it. So I thought since I have some spare time I would express the importance of being a safe runner.

Here is what I have learned over the last several years as well as some info I looked into online. Here is a link to the information provided by the Road Runner's Clubs of America
(http://www.rrca.org/education-advocacy/rrca-general-running-safety-tips/)

Always run against traffic
Find a running partner or a group. If you are local to Northwest Indiana check with Calumet Region Striders or the Extra Mile for weekly group runs. 
NEVER assume a driver sees you
Watch out for dogs... seriously they are not all friendly and will chase you
Seriously just move out of the way of cars
Always look both ways several times before crossing street
I don't usually run with music if you do I advise you turn it down. Only wear one of your ear buds and seriously pay attention.
As a female I try not to run the same route at the same time. I try to run a different route everyday so that no one could try to figure out my running patterns.

Wear reflective gear between Sunset and Sunrise. Seriously the more you wear the better. If I see a car approaching and I don't think they see me I stop and wait for them to pass. If you are unsure why kind of reflective gear you may need then get some advice... If you are reading this from Northwest Indiana I highly recommend stopping into Extra Mile and asking them for advice. 
My reflective gear includes a vest, flashing light and head light... I try to make sure I can be seen from the front and backside. If you feel really crazy Extra Mile even has a few pair of shoes that are reflective... how awesome is that?

Carry Mase... seriously you may need it.
Pay attention to your surroundings. 
Carry your phone with you.

Buy a ROAD ID... seriously no excuses... if you need a discount code ask me for one. 
Road ID
Make sure someone knows your are running and where you are running. Also let them know how long it should take you. 

Lastly just be safe. We are a special family as runners so watch out for your fellow runners. Be smart and never let anyone stop you from running.

Live love run

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you heal up soon and are back on the roads. Why are the the people in her town not happy with your friend's running? Strange...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! I'm really unsure. She lives in a small town and runs mostly on farm roads. My best guess is that it is one or two people who are just unhappy with their own lives.

      Delete
  2. Wow - Neighbors actually complained about your friend running... Why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope injury jail is short lived! I always feel like I'm one step away from being handcuffed again.

    As a pre dawn runner, I always have a flashing LED light on me, sadly 95% of runners don't wear any light during the dark

    ReplyDelete