Saturday, April 20, 2013

I survived... This was for you Boston.

Well I did it... I survived.
26.20 miles of training
4 hours 30 minutes from start to finish
Actual running time 4 hours 18 minutes
2 bathroom/water refill breaks
1 amazing day of weather
1 amazing runner running with me.






Today could not have went better. My running friend Dan who was crazy enough to agree to come along for the long run today... set out with me on the bike trail at 91st street. We went all the way past Crown Point high school and down around the near by neighborhoods. By the time I knew it the miles were flying by. We headed  back toward Crown Point and all the way the the Meijer in Merrillville for my planned bathroom/water refill break. Then we set down a few streets in Merillville. We ran tried to run through a neighborhood to get in some distance but it turned out not to be much. We decided to head back towards our cars and if we had to we would just pass them up. As we neared mile 20 I started to smile... I was doing it. I even said to Dan I can't believe we have run 21 miles this has been way too easy. Then we got closer to mile 22 I felt like I needed another bathroom break and the port a potty I planned was missing from the park. So I decided I would wait until we got to Starbucks  They kindly let me use their restroom and I was able to refill with a little more water. I didn't really need to go this was a total mental block. Then we hit the bike trail back to our cars. We were 2.10 miles short. So we went a mile past our cars to complete the full 26.20 miles.


I told Dan that I wanted to dedicate this run to the city of Boston. We did. It was an amazing feeling. Dan and I run with a group of runners who are all headed to the Louisville Marathon next weekend. So this was all of our winter training that we have done. Now I know I think I can truly make it another 5 miles because I did not bend or break today. I feel good. So my goals of doing the Tyron Farm 50K is still in my stires... I only hope I feel this good tomorrow when I run my 10 mile race at the Apple Orchard. The thing that I am really taking away from today's run is that I was able to run. I just keep thinking of all those who were hurt or injured in Boston. This run is for the those who cannot run. Today I didn't run for me... I ran for those who can't.




4 comments:

  1. All I can say is WOW! I ran 26.2 last week and am still recovering! To think that you did that as a training run and then a 10 mile race the next day is unbelievable. You are going to own that 50k!

    ReplyDelete