Sunday, May 19, 2013

Tryon Farm 50K Race Recap

Saturday came... I met two runners who were probably guilted into  going to the race because they know me. We met and made the commute to Michigan City. Once we arrived we had to start making our plan for the race. I really did not want to wear my fuel belt the entire race because I knew it would get uncomfortable. I realized once we got things set that I would pass by my bag of stuff every 6 miles since the course was a loop.

Loop 1 I wished Dan and Aaron good luck and lined up for loop one with no water. I started out loop one feeling really good. The faster pack quickly pulled ahead of me though. Once we hit the woods though they would pass me since it was winding around. Then a few miles laster they were much further ahead and I couldn't see them. I just kept following the orange ribbons that the race director advised us to follow. I came to the second water stop and I was feeling pretty good and was really happy with my pace. My goal was to really try to stick to just over an hour per lap. After leaving the water stop I took off still feeling really good and then I got totally confused and lost. There were not any other runners around other than those behind me. I finally thought I was on track but I still made some wrong turns. I ended up much closer to the lead runners than I probably should have been. I ended up coming to the pass through point in under 1 hour. I knew something was not quite right. I grabbed some water, high fives from friends arriving for the 10K and set out for lap 2.
Loop 2  This time I got the course right. I made sure to follow exactly what I was doing. I knew I needed to make sure I didn't go to fast but I was excited to finish loop 2 knowing I had a pacer for the final 3 loops. As I approached the pass through again the 10K and 5K runners were lined up. It really pumped me up to have them all cheering for me. 
Loop 3 My friend Bryan joined in with me to pace me for the loops. I quickly realized and said to Bryan omg the 10K runners are going to run me over. I was right. They crowded me, through me off pass and made me extremely nervous. I was so overwhelmed with having the additional runners on the course. Although many of the locals who knew me were so kind to cheer me on. Even one stranger told me "50K... you're an animal..." Thanks random stranger. Then it got hot. I mean really hot. I was not happy and Bryan was the best pacer just keeping me as positive as he could. Then I knew we were close to the pass again. The 10K had mostly finished and there were tons of people there cheering for me. I took another runners advise and I had some grilled cheese, coke and I chugged some Coconut water.
Loop 4... This loops started out with me walking and finishing off the coconut water. It was hot, hot, hot. Bryan again ran this loop with me. Encouraging me every step! In the open fields I was baking. When we got to the first water stop the women was using her water hose to spray runners. I hugged Judy. This loop was hot. I tried many things to try to get through it. I even had the 2nd water stop hose me down again. At one point I made Bryan just stay ahead of me. I felt like having him ahead I was less likely to take so many breaks. I still walked a lot. Much more than I wanted to. I came to the pass again and there were still friends there cheering for me hard. I took some more coke (thank you Derrick for that coke it was amazing!!! )and coconut water. I also picked up a new pacer Doug.
Loop 5... This loops started with me announcing "Uno Mas." One more. Doug was great. The sun faded and it was slightly cooler in the shade... relief felt so good. I also had him run ahead of me to keep me going. He even was able to photo me at the 26.2 mile marker 

And also the final time I had to climb over the stupid sand pimple... which I PROUDLY climbed all 5 loops













I told Doug when were we getting close that he should sprint ahead of me when I gave him the go ahead so that people would know I was coming. We made the turn and I said ok go I got it. He said ok finish it up like this is nothing and like you want to run more... in my crazy state of mind I told him, "yes sir." Then quickly I thought... that is exactly what I am going to do. As I made the final turn I smiled and raised my hands up as everyone was cheering for me. I pushed it hard to the final finish.

I did it... 6 hours 15 minutes 50 seconds... 25th place out of 43 yay me!

I cannot thanks Bryan and Doug enough for their support during the run. Also a special thanks to Tammy for sticking around so Doug could run with me as well as the video she made. I also feel I need to thanks Tammy Zack, Norm Williams and John Borman who really encouraged me. They are amazing runners. Also my friend Tim Post who really inspired me to take on this challenge.


So when all is said and done I am an ultra runner. 50K complete.  Oh and Dan and Aaron were awesome! We decided that the three of us officially have bragging rights among our running buddies. I am so glad they came and experienced this with me. It was an amazing day. Goal accomplished I finished.... Would I do it again... honestly yes. It was amazing! All I can say is never doubt yourself. Believe in yourself and just keep going.


Phil 4:13 

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! You are definitely an ultra runner. It's fantastic that you had such support. BTW, That sand pimple probably looks like a small mountain by mile 25! :-)

    ReplyDelete