Thursday, May 30, 2013

Running Mafia, Club or Family

Yesterday on my Facebook page I asked the question "When driving around NWI and you see a 26.2 or 13.1 sticker do you think... oh a runner. I wonder if I knew them?" Well 22 people liked it and 6 people commented. I guess you could say the overwhelming majority knew exactly what I meant. So it got me thinking about runners and here are some thoughts I had...

Runners have an unspoken language. You see an runner out running and often wish you were running. You may also be proud of that person for running even if you don't know them. Runners sometimes don't even have to speak because just seeing another runner you can have an unspoken conversation. So I'm not sure if we are a club, a mafia or just a special family. All I know is I respect every single person who goes out their door and puts one foot in front of the other.


I can understand a bad run, good run, PR, failed PR and most amazing run ever. We all experience these things on different days, different times and for different reasons. I told a group of new runners yesterday that even though my family lives 4 hours away I always feel like I have family here in the running community. Even though runners throughout the country and world inspire me I'm not sure it can compare to Northwest Indiana running community. They have inspired, pushed, encouraged, supported and made me feel like family. I often say going to a race in Northwest Indiana feels like a family reunion. So if you are ever out running just member you are my family. Don't ever give up because you have an entire family cheering for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment