Sunday, December 29, 2013

Huff 50K Relay Recap

Back on a warm summer day I decided to coach through our local running store (Extra Mile) a team for the Huff 50K events. The owner Heather, a fellow running coach Barb and I began making plans. I had no idea so many local runners would be interested. We started training for the events back in October and once again I got to meet even more amazing Northwest Indiana runners. I had a great time learning about them and their running goals. Some of which surpass me in many running catagories. I hope hey enjoyed having me as a coach as much as I enjoyed running with them.


Friday we all made our way to Columbia City, Indiana where Extra Mile had a pasta dinner waiting for us. I am so glad we made the drive over Friday night. An early wake up call and drive over to the Chain O'Lakes State Park was where the race took place. We all made our way to the tent to begin prepping for our runs. Oh and of course taking some photos.

I decided from the beginning that I was not going to be in shape for the 50K so I decided to run he relay and watch the other runners. The relay started 10 minutes prior to the 50K. Since I was the third leg of my teams relay I had plenty of time to watch other runners and prep for my run. 

My relay teams first runner was Sue. After she took off we went to get warm for a bit. After about an hour 20 we went out to watch as so of relay people were coming across. Jason was on another relay team with friends Tim and Doug so Tim came across and I was able to see Jason  off on his run. 

Once Sue came across our 2nd runner Tammy was off on her way! 

Once Tammy took off we knew we had around 2 hours before it would be my turn. The best part about my team is none of us had run this race and all three of us just wanted to enjoy and have fun! Tammy used an app on her phone so we could track her. I went to the finish area wait for Jason to finish. Even though he got lost he did great. Then Jason was nice enough to wait with me so I could and be ready for Tammy. Once she came off I went. Since I was the third runner I heard plenty about the course from other runners. The course was getting more slick as the day went from mud. The weather was perfect this year so I was ready. Since many of the other runners warned me of certain hills I was ready. 

I took off as soon as Tammy crossed. Up the big hill and to the right I went. I look down at my watch once the initial burst war off. I was just over half a mile in and running at 8:30 pace. WOAH I though. I knew I needed to conserve. I finished mile one at 8:55 pace. Toward the end of mile one was when we entered into the woods and I knew I needed to conserve energy. I saw a few 50K runners and I said good job to them. Mile two was much more conservative at 9:58. During the third and forth miles there must have been some easier stretches because I finished at 9:34 and 9:34 paces.  I still was feeling good but trying not to push too hard. I was still trying to make sure I was giving kind words to every 50K runner I passed since there were so many. Somewhere around 4 there was water and so I took a quick sip and was back at it. Mile 5 I felt great and knew I was doing well since I was half way but still didn't want to push too hard and ended with a 9:37 pace. I knew from other runners this is where it could get hilly. They were right it did. The scenery was beautiful and I was loving every second of it. I ended mile 6 with a 9:51 pace. I pushed harder the next mile trying to make up some of what I lost the previous mile and I ended up with a 9:46 pace. I don't remember when th aid station was but mile 8 with a 9:45. When I hit the aid station between 8 or 9 I saw one of our 50k runners sitting. I had to make sure he as ok so as I was opening my gel I checked on Ron. He was hurting but sis he would see me at the finish. In the misted of talking to Ron I got turned around a ran the wrong way from the aid station and fortunately I only got about 100 feet and a volunteer yelled tow to turn around. I quickly recovered and said good lucks and great jobs to all the 50K runners who were leaving the aid station. Mile 9 was hard and trying. I thought I could handle the hills but they were tough. Between the aid station and the hills I finished mile 9 in 10:39. I tried to push really hard to kill mile 10 because I knew I was close. I was starting to feel the hills and the race. I could see and start to hear the finish line. Mile 10 came in at 10:04 the I really stated to push. The cheers from the crowd could be heard from a distance so I was kicking as hard as I could. .32 and I was done and my sprint was calculated to an 8:34 pace. My official finish time was 1:40:37 which I am really happy about!


This race was challenging but awesome! I had a blast watching others run and our team was so encouraging! We even placed 5th in the all women's division! Although I do know we got really lucky with the weather it was an awesome event no matter what. I am so proud of all of our teams who ran the relay and the full 50K! They all worked hard and it was such an amazing day! If you are ever looking to cap off your year of running with a bang then get out to the Huff 50K single loop, relay or 50K! Although the weather plays a major factor I don't think you could go wrong at the Huff! 






No comments:

Post a Comment