Thursday, May 1, 2014

Knoxville Marathon Race Recap

Well its been nearly a month but I am ready to recap the Knoxville Marathon as I am preparing for the Kalamazoo marathon this weekend. When my friend Sue was the winner of the free entry to the Knoxville Marathon back in November I kept my commitment and signed up. The training this winter was BRUTAL but I felt ready. I decided to run this one in honor of my Nanny since it was her birthday.

We arrived in Knoxville Saturday afternoon and picked up our packets. Found a cute little spot for a last minute carbs and headed back to our hotel for as much sleep as possible.


The next morning we were lucky our hotel was very close to the start line. So after a quick bagel with peanut butter and taking some Spark I was ready to head outside. At the start line we were a bit cold but once we took off the first hill right away I was already feeling warmer. 

The first 3 miles seemed to fly by but it was crowded since the race also included a half marathon. Sue and were really impressed by all the entertainment. By the far the best had to be just after mile 6. They had signs every where and really kept our mind off the race. Then came mile 7... the largest hill of the race. I started to slowly jog up when Sue really kept it in perspective and said lets conserve our energy and walk. Once we made it just past mile 12 the half marathon split off to complete their race and we continued on. As we headed out for the 2nd half of the race I was still feeling pretty good. As we continued through the race I could tell I was feeling tired. We hit mile 19 and I was starting to feel the race. We hit another rough hill and I knew again I had to take it slow. As I approached mile 20 I just kept pushing on. Sue was right there with me until about 21 and this was the first time I realized she was not side by side with me. The volunteers continued to be great. As the later miles approached I knew I was slower than I wanted to be. I knew that mile 24 was going to be a hard mile so I was trying to prepare for it. As the mile approached I had no idea just how it was going to hit me. Mile 24's hill hit me harder than I could have ever imagined. After that I was just exhausted. At the top of the hill there was a very long bridge and I was trying to make it all the way across and the fatigue just hit me. I finally hit mile 25 and was feeling better knowing I was closer. As we came down the hill I thought maybe it was finally some relief but I was wrong. Another incline with the 26 mile marker at the top. Once I finally managed my way to the top I took off. I ran as hard as my body could physically let me run and into Neyland Stadium where the finish was. I hear my name "Deanna Grimes, Merrillville, Indiana" and I just smiled.

 I had done it. 26.2 miles and marathon number 6 and state number 4 was in the books. 4 hours 38 minutes and 02 seconds. Sue came in right after me and I was glad to be reunited with my two favorite running buddies Tim and Sue.

Jason was right there waiting with warm clothes for us of course! 

My slowest marathon to date. In the coming weeks many have asked how it went and I just keep saying I finished. The truth is that is really what I was happy about. I found out about 30 days prior to the marathon I was pregnant with my first baby. The week of the marathon and including the day of I was sick to my stomach and exhausted. I did do it though and that's what matters. Not all the races go as planned but I finished and that is really what matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment