Thursday, August 25, 2011

Eat Healthy but Cheap...




I was reading a blog today called Moneyning and here are some suggestions as well as my thoughts about eating healthy and cheap...











Stretch Your Meat –.... I love this idea, we just talked abotu it at weight watchers last week. There are many ways to get in protein without eating meat. Things like beans, eggs,  greek yogurt, tofu are just as good for you. I also try to stretch my meat for multiple meals. Sometimes a chicken breast is too large for just one meal so I can save it for another meal.


Make a Shopping List – I must admit I do like this idea although I am very bad at it. I did recently download an application on my phone that I like to use as I think of things I need. Plan ahead. Think of what meals you would want and put everything on the list. Don't buy anything that isn't on the list. Also try shopping with cash. If you don't have the cash then don't buy it.

Avoid Processed Foods – This really can save you a lot of money. Things such as 100 calorie packs.. I think it is cheaper to make my own. I also really try to find ways to make quick easy meals that are not processed.

Drink Only Water – I am really trying to focus on more water.. I am really focusing on removing diet soda again! Also find ways to enjoy the water. Add lemon or even crystal light packets.

Buy In-Season Produce –  This is a major saver... I really love shopping around. I always try to check the ads on Wednesday and Sunday for the best deals. It is almost apple season here locally. Go apple picking for a day with your family. Saves money and is a great activity.

Shop at the Farmer’s Market I LOVE FARMERS MARKETS!!! They are great. If you aren't shopping at one... please give it a try.

Know Your Healthy, Cheap Staples – I think this really helps. I am never out of oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, canned green beans, as well as beans.

Start a Vegetable Garden –  I have some friends who did this and I am jealous. I would love to do this. What would you grow if you could?

Avoid the Drive-Thru – I avoid them at all cost. I have a rule to not eat in my car unless I really have to. I also find them difficult to really get point friendly foods. Also think about it this way .99 for a baked potato from Wendy's... this past weekend I paid .99 per pound on sweet potatoes. Much cheaper to do it yourself. 

Clip Coupons – This seems obvious. However there are so many ways. I have even started to Google foods that I want to try to see if their website will have a coupon. I have already printed a ton of coupons for my favorite yogurt. I do this for everything. Also coupons.com is a great place to print coupons. There are so any ways to save without becoming one of those crazy women you see on TLC.

Save Money. Eat better. Lose Weight. Be Happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment