Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Rock & Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Recap

When Jason and I booked our Las Vegas Vacation I did not plan on doing a race. It never even crossed my mind. Then when he suggested we run the half I was thrilled. I so appreciate that he supports my love of running. His idea of running is getting to the beer at the end. He only does the running for his health. Which I totally respect. There are so many different types of runners out there. Jason just isn't crazy like some of us. I told him once he started training and comitted to doing it that I would pace him to the finish. I know how much it has meant to me to have so many runners support me over the years so I was more than happy to help him. 

We arrived in Vegas on Wednesday and were able to enjoy the day. Thursday we also didn't really have much we had to do. Friday was packet pickup at the convention center. We wanted to get there early and get out. It was about a 3 mile walk from our hotel to the convetion center so we stopped about half way and ate breakfast. Then walked in. It was packed We picked up bibs, snaped a photo and even got a free gait analysis from Brooks. It was a relativly small expo. I say this because I have been the one in Chicago and its huge. This one had nothing on Chicago. 


The race was not until Sunday but the race provided some pre-race fun. Some of which we took advantage of somoe of which we did not. Sunday rolled around and we did what we normally do and decided to watch football. We had a great time in the Excalibur Sports bet area being able to watch all the games on all of their TVs. Since the race didn't start until 4:30 Jason and I both felt out of routine with what to eat. We ordered some pizza and ate that early so that we wouldn't be too hungry or too full by the time race rolled around. Around 2:30 we went up to our hotel to change clothes and prepare for the race. I ate a cliff bar and the race provided free pre-race bananas. Jason and I did get one but I think they were short. This always disapoints me. They provided a pre-race band so we listened to that for a bit and then hit the port a potties. They then had us head to our corrals. 

Jason and I were in the 19th corral and it was a delayed start per corral so it seemed to take forever to get up there. The corrals were very crowded. The photos above I took as we were waiting to get going. Once we hit the start line it was go time and SLOOOOOOOOW. The race starts by going south on Las Vegas Blvd. The streets are wide but it was really tough to get around the slower runners. I was so frustrated by the walkers and slow runners we were unable to dodge. All I tried to do was keep Jason focused on going. I missed the mile 1 marker but somwhere between 1 and 2 we turned around to head back north on Las Vegas Blvd. Around mile 2 I looked a my pace bracelet and we were exactly on track for the pace we wanted. After 2 miles I started to think maybe the crowd would thin out a bit... Boy was I wrong. As we were running north there was amazing crowd support and since it took about 30 minutes for our corral to get started it was already dark and all the lights of the city were on. Just around the 5K marker the path was smaller and so the crowd quickly picked back up. I was still trying to make it as much fun as possible. I would smile at Jason every time we met eyes and I made sure to talk to as many runners as possible and high five as many people on the streets. The next couple miles went by quickly but it slowed our pace because there were just so many runners to dodge. We passed by where the finish line was on the other side of Las Vegas Blvd and we caught a glimps of the half marthon winner coming in. 
Around mile 6 Jason said he was getting worried. That he had never made it past 7 miles without a break. I told him I was there with him no matter what but to just keep focused on staying with me as long as he could. At this point we were started to head into downtown Las Vegas. Around mile 8 he was really started to get worried. This is also when we started to make the detour through the residental streets and Jason had warned me that the race reviews said it would get dark. I had no idea how dark. I started to actually worry about not being able to see. If I ever run this again I would bring a light with me. This section does get very dark. Then we hit Fremont Street and it was much more well lit again. Around mile 9 Jason was started to really struggle so we slowed down. At mile 10 he needed a walk break so we walked. I just kept trying to tell him how great he was doing. I had  never paced anyone before but was really happy to be pacing him. Again at mile 11 we took a quick break. At one point Jason accidently drank gatorade instead of water and it really messed him up. So then we hit mile 12 and there was one more water stop. I thought I lost him but finally saw him behind me walkiing with his water. So I picked it up and pulled him into the finish. I grabbed his hand and pulled him into that finish. 2:04:26 he finished. 


When I say there are not enough words to say how proud of Jason I am there really aren't. Running is not his thing but he has always supported me and been there to see me finish. It was a very crowded race and I could tell all the dodging and weaving we had to do really wore on him late in the race. There was never a moment where we were not really dodging slower runners and walkers. I honestly feel so proud of Jason though. Running is not something that is easy or exactly fun for him but he does it. I have always had pride for myself as a runner but nothing beats being proud of someone you love so much. Overall my opinion of this race? The Good is that its a fun exprience you cannot get in small town Indiana, exciting, flat, easy course, great crowd support and a glow in the dark medal! The bad is that you need to try to get an early corral unless you plan to do what Jason and I had to do and dodge slow runners the entire time, its not cheap by any means, and the water stops seemed unorganized. There are many runners who read my blog and some of you know some of the top runners here in Northwest Indiana where I live. They would love this race most likely. Get a front or elite corral and go PR. Its a super easy and flat course. Overall I am so glad I was able to do this race and really truly enjoy it!






3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun race, especially if you can manage to get near the first few corrals! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race!

    I was there too, and I think I saw you in the Excalibur sports area... I was watching the Bears, and my bf was watching the Lions. Small world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo small world. We did stay at Excalibur and watched football there Sunday!

      Delete