Sunday, November 3, 2013

Indy Monumental Marathon Recap

Earlier this year I set myself up for a very lofty goal... Become a Marathon Maniac in 2013. All I had to do to cap off my qualification was cross the finish line at the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. 

Friday I left town with some of favorite runners to make our way to Indy. We went to the Expo with a solid plan, pick up our packets, walk around for a few minutes and leave. We didn't want to spend a lot of time on our feet. Packets were picked up and we made our way to Bucca Di Beppo for dinner. Some laughs, hydrating, pasta and mental prep work were starting to be put into place. I was excited to talk to my friend Lisa because she was going to be pacing the 4 hour 15 minute group at the race. She said all the pacers were meeting in the Westin Lobby and then lining up from there. We set out to our hotel to get some sleep and get our gear ready.


Saturday morning we got up and started our normal runners routines. Since we decided on saving money by staying just north of Indy we had to drive about 20 minutes to get to the start line. 

We parked right by the finish so that we wouldn't have a far walk. We hit the restrooms inside the Westin Lobby which proved to be genius. We saw a few fellow runners and snapped a few pictures in our very laughable keep warm gear.


Then Sue and I went to find our girl Lisa and the 4:15 pace group. As we got there we saw Jeromy and my friend Matt from Cincinnati were already lined up. We didn't have to wait long at all and we were moving toward the start line. Then we were off. Making our way through the streets of Indy. Lots of cheers but the race was very crowded. It was somewhat difficult to keep up with the pace group. I quickly couldn't find Sue and Jeromy who I really wanted to run with. Matt was still in my sights and I was able to get right behind the pacers. The miles were quickly going by. I barely have a memory of the first 3 miles. I knew the crowd would thin out around mile 7 once the half marathon group split off. I was growing impatient with the crowd. Many elbows and I was getting pushed around a lot. Around mile 3 or so I ditched my gloves to some very happy teenagers. After around mile 4 I was even warm enough to pull my arm warmers down around my wrists. I was reunited with Sue and Jeromy at some point and they were saying they wish they had worn a singlet because they were warm. I was very happy to have one on. 
What seemed like awhile we finally hit mile the break point and the half marathoners turned off course. I thought the crowd would thin out but I was wrong. Matt's running friend was only running half, so Matt joined me and we were running great just chatting away. There were a lot of full marathon runners though so it was pretty tight. Around mile 10 my shoe came untied. I had to stop. As I got back up to take off again I was by Sue. She didn't look happy or say much. I was worried but I thought if I just pushed she would follow. I caught back up with Matt because he turned around to check on me. The next few miles flew by. We hit the half way point and I was really just enjoying the race. Lisa was doing a great job keeping everyone motivated. The main thing she discussed was that the first part of the race was easy, then the next part you have to run with your legs and the final section with your heart. I keep repeating to myself I could do it. 
Then we hit Butler and the spectators were great. Really encouraging. Then as we pulled out of Butler and toward the museum I was happy to know there shouldn't be more up hills and mostly downs. The museum was also full of lots of spectators and really nice people. Just after the museum I was starting to really feel the race. At the next water stop I grabbed some pretzels to try to see if some food would give me some more energy. Lisa did ask me how I was doing, I told her I am starting to feel it. She was so great telling me you got this! Jason a marathon maniac was the best part of our pack. He was so positive. It was a pleasure to meet him. We then headed down the highway ramp and into some shade along a street. My body needed the shade the sun was starting to get to me. Around mile 20 I got ahead of the group and Lisa said you going to go... I said no I'm here with you or may even have to drop back. The group forced to me stay the course. I was trying to hold on as long as I possibly good. At mile 21.5 I was starting to really truly feel the race. I took a gel slowly until we hit the water stop. The pace group passed me. I was right there with them until about 22 or so. I needed to stop for a second because my stomach was turning I though maybe I would throw up... I couldn't. 
So I regained realizing the pace group was not the far ahead. Then I had to stop again because I felt sick again. The pace group then was just too far ahead. Around 23 I just keep saying go as far as you can go. I would run, then walk. Run then walk. Between 23 and 24 Matt caught me. He was hurting also. I would pass him then he would pass me. Then we caught Jason. I was shocked to see him. He was hurting also. Those last 3 miles were brutal. I ran about a half mile then would give myself a break. The sun was beating on me but I could feel that finishing pulling me. 

Every time I would get tired I would remember my sister Jenna who I knew I wanted to run this race for. I had written her name on my wrist although it faded I just kept thinking and saying her name in my mind. I played tag with Jason and Matt through the last couple of miles. I hit mile 25 and I though ok 1 mile you got this. So I ran to mile 25.6 and took a quick break. Then I saw the lines of people waiting to cheer for me. I picked up my feet and just took off. I pushed and pushed. Mile 26... then I really just pushed as hard as my body would let me push it. 


FINISH! 4 hours 19 minutes and 27 seconds.

 Slightly off from my original goal. I waited just a few seconds so I could see Matt finish and he did. We grabbed a medals and took a few quick pictures. Then I saw Lisa. She was so encouraging again telling me how awesome I did. I talked to Lisa's husband Ron for a few minutes and he also had a rough day. I turned my phone back on and some of my friends times were coming across. I saw my friend Tim missed his goal. Then I saw my friend Doug's time... OMG first marathon... OMG he did awesome. I was so excited to see him. Next thing I know there he is. I quickly forgot about my race because I was so happy to see how well Doug did. Sue and Jeromy came in about 15 and 20 minutes after me. Jeromy had a PR. It may not have been the time he wanted but he had a PR so I was so happy for him. Overall a great day weather wise. I didn't hit my time goal totally but I PR'd on the course by about a minute and a half. I am officially a marathon maniac so overall my year long goal was accomplished!!! A great time with great friends.... As my friend Sue would say... A marathon is really far... yet we keep doing it over and over again!


So maybe I didn't run my best ever race for my sister but I did it and this one is for her because I LOVE  RUNNING! Nothing can bring me down just like nothing will ever bring her down... 


Romans 5:3-4

Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;perseverance, character; and character, hope.





4 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on the finish and becoming a Marathon Maniac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the Marathon Maniac - that's a lot of marathons!

    I love that Bible verse :)

    ReplyDelete