Monday, November 5, 2012

Purdue Calumet Fall Frolic Race Recap

First let me just say I love this race. Well organized every year on a nice November Sunday morning.

I woke up... grabbed a quick granola bar and cup of coffee and made my drive to Hammond. I was so nervous because when I was driving there it started to pour rain...

But nothing will hold me back. Good thing it was perfect when they started the race. The thing I really enjoy about this race is that it is 4 miles. Often times I feel too much pressure by 5K's because they are so short and often ran so fast... but 4 miles seems better.

I started at the start line with my friend Brian and his super fast kids. They bolted at the start so I thought ok see you at the finish. Based on my recent injuries I decided not to try to kill myself. Just before the first turn I saw a fellow competitor in my age group who typically kicks my butt. She was not only kicking my butt... she was pushing a stroller and kicking my butt. WOW! She is amazing.

 At mile 1 I must have forgotten this idea of not killing myself because they volunteer said read 8:00 for my first mile.... but look how happy I look just a few minutes later....


So this is where I was running neck and neck with a fellow runner Tom and I decided just keep going and see what happens. We both said... wow this is rough after 8 miles yesterday....

Then I hit the halfway point and was shocked at my time. Then I hit the the turn around to head back and a guy said wow we are at and 8:16 pace.... I honestly thought to myself.... he must be joking... I can't be doing that. .75 miles later I was about to make the final turn of the race and I was shocked I still looked this happy....

33:20 later I finished. Enough for a pace of 8:20 and 6th place in my age group out of 15... I am more than happy with this. I finished 1:28 faster than I did 2 years ago.

Consistent improvement. Always achieve for more.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Congrats!!! And it looks like there was no rain!

    I have never raced a 4 miler. I kind of want to. 5Ks are super painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Congrats on another great race!! I've only done one 4-miler, and I just treated it like a 5K. Of course I was gasping as the end ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a ѵеry eаsy on the eyes
    whіch makes it much morе plеаsant for me to cοme here аnԁ νisit mоrе often.

    Diԁ уou hire οut a desіgner
    tο create уour theme? Excellent work!


    http://cctvѕeсuritуpros.buzznet.
    com/usеr/
    Also visit my page ; best roofing company

    ReplyDelete