Monday, October 28, 2013

Manda's Race and Dawn of Dunes Recaps

This weekend I thought it would be just another normal weekend. Friday I went to bed early and got up Saturday ate a small breakfast and headed out to Chesterton for Manda's race 5K. I knew many other runners who were running this race and was excited to see them. I often have written on my blog how going to a race in Northwest Indiana is much like going to a family reunion. Manda's race certainly didn't disappoint. There were so many familiar faces.

Before the race I met up with my friend Tim and Sue. We got out swag, hit the restroom and decided we should probably do a warm up run since it was so cold outside. Then it was time to walk to the start line. I saw even more familiar runners as we were lining up to take off. I was a bit nervous with my left hamstring being really sore. I knew I was not going to be able to push as hard as I wanted. Sue and I lined up together and just after they said go Sue and I were right behind our friend Lisa's daughter Riley. Sue said Riley is a good pacer just stay with her. So I just focused on this little girl and trying to stay with her. We were doing great and hit mile 1 at 8:21. Just as we hit mile 1 we could see the lead runner headed back toward mile 2. I thought holy crap. Then it was nice to see so many friendly faces from the lead pack as they were headed toward mile 2 and we were headed out. Fellow running friends Steve and Chrys def had the best costume duo going on during the race. As we hit mile 2 Riley was starting to pull away from me. She was really starting to pick it up and I knew I just couldn't. Just after the hill at mile 2 we made the left turn to head back to toward the school where the race starts and finishes. Riley really pulled away from me at this point and I just knew I couldn't pick it up without totally killing my hamstring. We headed down the hill and out of the neighborhood and I  knew it was close because the mile 3 marker was inside the school lot. I could start to hear people cheering. As we made the final turn I knew someone was right behind me. I could hear her friend cheering her to catch me. My friend Tim spotted me and he said "Come on Deanna, go" and that was all I needed, I pushed as hard as I possibly could. 25:59. Finish, No PR but a  GREAT race. I really enjoyed the course. I ended up 153 out of 362 and 10 out of 30 in my age group. This race was very well organized. They had plenty of yummy post race food. They even let you go inside the school afterward which is perfect for a cooler fall day. They give out trophies to the age group winners. I highly recommend this 5K be on your list for next year if you missed it.

Sunday I volunteered at the inaugural Dawn of Dunes race. I was just before mile 2 with a Gary Police officer. I really enjoyed being able to watch all of my runners friends pass through and talk to the officer about running in Northwest Indiana. I sometimes forget there are people who know nothing about our amazing running community. This Gary officer clearly knew very little. I hope he was some what enlightened by what I could tell him about our amazing community. We are so lucky in Northwest Indiana to have such a great running family.


Congrats to everyone who ran yesterday. I was so happy to hear all the positive things you had to say about the race. The very little amount I got to see of the course looked tough but really nice. Volunteering really gives you such an amazing new respect when you run a race. Always be sure to thank the volunteers.

Another great weekend of running.


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the speedy 5k and it's very cool that you volunteered the very next day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for volunteering at Dawn of the Dunes Deanna!! It was great running weather but a bit chilly in the early morning for volunteering!! It's appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete