Monday, October 14, 2013

Volunteering is Rewarding

Yesterday 45,000 people set out for the goal to complete the Chicago Marathon. Many runners were out there for the first time, trying to set a PR or just hoping to make it to the finish. Earlier this year I made it a goal that since I wasn't going to be able to run Chicago this year based on my marathon schedule that I would volunteer. I really believe in giving back to those who have given so much to me. This is one of the reasons I coached runners this past winter and summer. I love being able to see people to the finish.

The Calumet Region Striders handle mile 5 of the 26.2 marathon. This is in the Lincoln Park Zoo and one very pumped up water stop!

Volunteering yesterday was so amazing. First I got to see the Elites come through. WOW!

Then seeing so many smiling faces of people I knew. Getting hugs from a couple of them. High fives and thank yous felt awesome. I cheered for as many people as I possibly could. When you are a runner you know how good it feels to get support from the crowd.


After we started to finish our water stop I started thinking of how awesome it was. I got hugs from two of my very good running friends. I even got a little teary eyed thinking of all my friends out there pushing through the race. 

We made our way to Charity village to hear stories of the remaining parts of the race. Some heart breaking finishes and some just so happy they completed the full race. I must say volunteering has humbled me in a way I didn't expect. Seeing a stranger smile just because you yelled their name and cheered for them is so awesome! It ghas truly made me appreciate those who have been out there to see me through a race. 

Congrats to everyone to finished yesterday! Especially those who completed their first marathon!! 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for volunteering!! I might have even gotten water from you, but I wasn't doing very good focusing on faces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the first real wave of runners came at us it got crazy. I could barely focus on who was running by.

      Delete