Thursday, July 19, 2012

Friendship 5K Race Recap

Friendship 5K
Dowling Park
Hammond, IN

Warm Up
1.35 Mile
12:22

Race Results
3.10 Miles
25:49
2nd place in age group
91st overall
(100 day challenge Day 80 Check)


I really enjoyed this race once again this year. I did just shy of 1 minute faster than I did last year. Last year I also finished 2nd in my age group and I finished 26:44 so just a few seconds shy of a full minute. The heat was much worse last year so I was thankful we had some relief this evening. This race does something slightly different than most by having the Men and Women start 5 minutes apart. I am not sure if I like it or not but I did start counting how many men I was passing to try to take my mind off of the race but then I lost count...

The first mile seemed to fly by before I knew it they said 8:10 and I thought ok if you can just keep this up for another mile.
Once we hit the 2nd loop of the race I knew what to expect so I was feeling good about where I stood. I just kept focusing on a new person in front of me. I love when people wear really bright clothing because it gives me something to focus on other than where I am in the race. Many people do not like races that give have to do the same loop twice especially when the race is so short. I found this worked really well to my advantage today. I knew that the race was flat and where there was some downhill for relief. Even with the heat I didn't really feel hit me as hard as it has at some other races. I think the slight breeze we had provided just enough relief for me.

Then I hit mile two and I knew exactly what the course was to get to the finish so I just kept focusing on pushing myself and getting to the finish. There was a final water stop around the 2.70 mile marker and that is where a really great runner Frank Johnson picked me up and pushed me really hard to the finish. I almost never push myself that hard to a finish but with Frank there I really felt like I could do it. The last thing he said was put your head down and move those arms to the finish and catch her. I was really pushing myself hard to catch the girl in front of me. I didn't catch her but at the finish we gave each other a high five. She said thanks for pushing me and I said right back at you. I love that the running community is so supportive. I knew that this was my best 5K time by far. Previous to this race my best was just over 26 minutes. I really have no idea what made this race go so well but I felt really good.

The next best part about this race... Free Pizza and Beer with friends afterwards
















What is it that can make a race feel so good? What will you be proud of today?

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Great job on the PR and the age group win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your award. You're a speed demon!

    And the pizza and beer post run would really motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on 2nd Place. Nice medal too!

    ReplyDelete