Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chicago Half Marathon Race Prep

I have talked many times on my blog about prepping for a race the night before. It really takes days, weeks and months of prep for a big race. However there are really a few things we need to do to prepare the day of.

Today I started with a good carb filled breakfast. Since I knew I was not going to be running right away I opted for an oatmeal with a half scoop of Click Protein and some strawberries. I also ate a banana and had some coffee.



After I got off work I headed out to meet my friend Sara for part of her 15 mile run. This run also allowed me to get in some mileage without pushing my pace. I ended up running just over 6.5 miles. It was a beautiful day and I felt great.

Sara was kind enough to head up to Navy Pier with me so I could pickup my race packet. We picked up my race packed and wondered around the expo they were having. We ended up with a bondi band. I really like wearing these instead of a hat. They hold my hair back without making it look crazy. Plus the hats starts to get really gross after so many wears.

Then we went in search for some food. We ended up at Hagen Dazz. Sara had a really good looking veggie wrap and I had a chicken and cheddar sandwich. Neither of us had ice cream. This seems like a crime but most runners know you can't have too much dairy the day before a good long run.

Sara hooked me up with this mushroom burger that I was able to enjoy for dinner. She homemade these burgers and froze them. It was really yummy. I added some laughing cow cheese, sweet and spicy mustard and spinach to the sandwich. I paired it with some green beans. I really don't like to over do dinner the night before a good long run or race so this was perfect.

Then of course I got everything ready for tomorrow morning. I don't know if all runners prep as much as I do but I try to be fully ready for an early wake up call. Since it is going to be a cool morning I will be able to wear my NWI Region Runners shirt to represent all of us Indiana runners tomorrow.


If you are interested in following my results in real time click the link below and enter my bib # 1104
http://www.racemyrace.com/hosted/chicagohm.php?rid=139&theme=chicagohm

I am ready but nervous. I am always nervous for a race. So check back tomorrow to see how I did.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for running with me this morning and for letting me tag along to Chicago! Glad you enjoyed the lentil mushroom burger :) Have a great race tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete