Monday, September 10, 2012

Final Countdown

Did you totally start singing the song by Europe when you read the title of my blog today?





The home stretch begins this week for my marathon training. I took today totally off to rest my very tired legs. Tomorrow I run again and the final 20 mile training run is this weekend. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. 

There are several things that I am happy about I 
have a running buddy for the race.
finally feel like I have a pair of shorts, shoes and socks that will work well for the race.
seem to have nailed down a fuel routine.
don't feel as nervous since I have completed a marathon

A few things I am still on edge about
weather... because you never know what Chicago will bring
Shoes... still adjusting to new ones
Eating something the night before the race that makes me sick
Over sleeping... because I am just always paranoid about this
Fuel... I think I have nailed down a routine but I am still not sure how I will feel the last 6 miles. Recently I have felt super hungry after running the long runs.
Helping my sister with her wedding while training for the race.
Changing up some of my runs to coordinate with my real life
Gatorade... it hurts my stomach but I don't think water is enough over 26 miles...

Am I the only one who stresses about the little things in life?

4 comments:

  1. You stole my worry list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the Gatorade ... ask Jeff Mescal, he uses salt tablets for his marathons as Gatorade upsets his stomach too. He's always an official 3:00 pacer for the Chicago marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have run a bunch of marathons... never use Gatorade. It kills my stomach. Have water and try energy gels or shot bloks or honey stingers (or honey packets). you have a few weeks left to see what works. Good luck! and congrats on your PR! (Erica from ericafinds.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your last few weeks of training!!! I never drink Gatorade, I just stick to shot bloks or gels, etc. My plan for the marathon is Clif Shot Bloks in margarita (extra sodium). I don't really like the taste, but I like that they have extra sodium. I still get pretty hungry during the later miles, but they've been getting me through. At my last long run, we had volunteers along the trail, and in addition to the usual water (and Gatorade), they also had "real" food - pretzels, orange slices, candy corn, etc. I ate pretzels at every stop and that was awesome! So now I'm telling anyone who is spectating the marathon to bring pretzels with them.

    ReplyDelete