Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ice Scream Half Marathon Race Recap

A few months ago the registration opened for the Ice Scream Half Marathon. I peeked ahead at my training schedule and saw 12 so I figured hey perfect, run a race and get free ice cream. YAY! I wasn't sure exactly what approach to take. The race was advertised as very flat and very fast. However my first full marathon of the fall is only 4 weeks from today so... I took this approach.
Don't kill yourself
Have fun
Run
Practice again with gel

When I arrived I starting seeing a lot of familiar faces show up. At the start I lined up with my friend Tim and asked him his game plan...since he didn't really have one he said he would hang with me as long as he could. We started out really great. The first mile was a bit fast so we had to dial back if we were going to hang in for the full 13.1. The first couple miles were a circle then we headed out the shaded portion of the bike trail that runs through Portage. Around mile 5 or so we got off the trail and went down Mcool to hit the Iron Horse Trial. At one point John the winner passed us and he looked so strong. He was totally in his zone. I was feeling really good. The next thing I know we hit mile 7. I said to Tim really we are at mile 7? Tim is one of my favorite friends to run with. He is funny in his own unique way and has tons of great running stories. He thinks I am crazy fast but I think he crazy amazing. I mean the man ran back to back marathons just to charity this year. On did I mention this was just shortly after he ran his first ever 50 miler. So maybe he thinks I have the need for speed but he can go and  go and go. Eventually we circled back around to hit the bike trail again. The next thing I know we are at mile 10. I always check my time at mile 10, if I am under 1:30 then I go. I was at 1:28 so I started to try to pick up our pace. I knew around mile 11 Tim's sore ankle did not feel good. At mile 12 he told me I had to go... So I really decided to kick it in that last mile. I wanted to practice that force of pushing through after a longer distance. My Garmin registered me at a 8:14 that last mile so I was really happy.


I crossed the finish line in 1:54:27 4th place in my age group out of 20. I was also 45 out of 140 finishers. The best part is that my crazy friend Tim who never races half marathons was pulled by me to yet again another PR. YAY TIM! Great well organized race. Plenty of shade. Loved the early start! I also got to actually meet someone who reads this blog that isn't my family member. Seriously if you read this blog and see me please introduce yourself. It is really nice to know people read my ramblings. All in all... I highly recommend this race!


6 comments:

  1. Congrats on winning your age group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I didn't win... but 4th out of 20 was pretty darn good.

      Delete
  2. Where is the pic of the ice cream though?? Great race! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. An ice cream cone at the finish line?! Genius. I almost always envision ice cream when I run long distances so this would be ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was me that said hi to you :) I really enjoyed the small town feel of this race. The shaded trail was awesome. I got my dates mixed up somehow and could of ran the Wine Trail Half in Baroda MI that is about 10 minutes from my house in SW Michigan. I thought that race was Labor Day weekend. About half way through the I Scream half I was so glad I was running a shaded flat course because Baroda is very hilly :) The hour time difference is a plus too when traveling from Michigan.

    ReplyDelete