Thursday, August 29, 2013

Marathon Training is Long...


Training for a marathon can be a long process the first time you ever do it. You work, you sleep, you run, you eat... then you repeat. There isn't much time to do much else. The best part is the day when you are able to line up and put all the hard work into place.

This summer has been different for me. I took on a new kind of training program to push myself to be a bit faster. One thing I say that I always do during marathon training is learn. I never stop trying new ideas or listening to other runners. I just told someone today who asked me if I missed Cincinnati that yes but the one thing I love about Northwest Indiana is the running community. Any problem, question or concern I have ever had during running I have found another runner to turn to. I love that any question I ever have about running just takes asking a runner who knows a runner who has been through a similar situation. This year I feel as though I have learned a lot about myself. When I started losing weight I was always wondering if I could do it... well I did. The first time I trained for a marathon I wondered if I could do it... I did. This year I have trained hard. Focused and tomorrow starts the final stage... my final long run before the cut back and downhill into my first marathon of the fall. I am excited that I was able to find another  runner who wanted to run 20 miles on a Friday morning.... so tomorrow will be the longest long run I have done since my 50K in the spring. I am nervous. Summer has set back in here in the Midwest... oh yay. Although I am lucky that we are going on a mostly shaded trail with water and bathrooms. It does not mean that nerves don't begin to set in. Long runs are great because they allow so much time for reflection but they also deserve good  company. 

Bring on 23 miles.... 


2 comments:

  1. Good luck and have fun! Saw your Chicago Marathon picture in the Tribune on-line again today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting this post your run! Great job! And keep being famous!

    ReplyDelete