Sunday, August 4, 2013

Running with the Devils 5K Recap

Saturday was the Running with Devils 5K in Lowell. I really enjoy this race for a couple reasons 
Cheap, close to home, a great organization and it's a slightly harder 5K. 
I was really unsure what to expect since last year I was coming off being really sick. At the starting line I ran into my fellow running buddy Josie who said she would be there. I told my friends I am going to do my very best to keep her I'm my sights because I knew she could be the one to pull me through at a really good time. 
At the start of the race it was crowded but Josie was still in my sights. When we hit the first main road it was easier to keep my eye on her. I was feeling really strong so I just kept pushing. Them just before mile 1 I overheard some high school boys make a mean comment to a much younger boy who was passing at the same time I was. (Side not the entire Lowell football team runs this race). I was not happy so I yelled to them that they needed to grow up! 
I hit mile 1 and I felt strong and was so happy with how I was running! I was still burning through from the high school boys. 
The second mile went pretty fast and I was still feeling good and holding pace even though the we were going through a lot of rolling hills. A grab some water as I hit mile 2 and took a swig of it. 
Once I saw how well I did through mile 2 I knew if I didn't give up I would pull off a good time. So I kept trucking along. Then the sun and final hill of the race hit my face and although I pushed hard the last mile was slightly slower. Then I saw the 3 mile mark and knew I was going to PR! So I pushed as hard as I possibly could as a fellow runner friend Tim saw me and was yelling for me to push and I did! 
Crossed the finish line in 24:43!!! 
1:06 5K PR!!!!
2nd out of 11 in age group
101 out of 324 total 


Awesome run! Awesome day! I haven't been this proud of my hard work in a long time! 
Above picture is me with one of my favorite families in the local running community and they won a team award! They rock! 

1 comment:

  1. that ain't even sneaking into a PR, that's ROLLING OVER IT, making it a pancake, and eating it UP!
    Good job !

    ReplyDelete