Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Being that so called "runner"



I saw this today when I was looking through some motivational says and it really got me thinking about my running. I often hear from people who say they don't think they could ever run well I can honestly say I never thought I would either. As much as I appreciate all of the support my family gives me now they are the first to tell you how lazy I used to be. There are many reasons to stop yourself from seeing how far you can truly go but what if you start believing in yourself. I also recently read this article from runners world about how running can actually be fun for many different types. I am by no means an expert but I am someone who has gone from couch to many different distances including my first marathon last years. Here are a few things I can promise you I know about being a so called "runner."

~You are a runner if you go out and put one foot in front of the other. It doesn't matter how far, how long or what road you take. It only matters that you go.

~Just get started. There are many places to start and it is possible for almost anyone. A couple of good places to start are:
                            Couch to 5K
                           Hal Higdon Training Programs

~Once you decide to get started make sure you have the right gear. Pick the right shoes, socks and clothing. There are also free smart phone applications such as Run Keeper that use your phones GPS to
track how far you've run and the time.

~Pick a goal. Even if you are goal is complete one mile then go after it and do not stop until you get there.

~ Running does not require a membership. You can run anywhere, anytime and it doesn't have to cost anything other than the clothes/equipment.

~I promise you will feel amazing. When they talk about the "runners high" I have found it is really true. I cannot express the way I feel after a good run. I have been brought to tears of overwhelming joy from three times. When I completed one of my first 5K's and got 3rd place in my age group, half marathon and full marathon.

I am not the fastest runner or the most "ten year" but I am a runner. You can be as well. Someone once asked my mom why I would want to complete the marathon if I wasn't going to be competing at a high level. I was lost without words. This is the type of person who can bring you down. You are stronger than you believe.

Ready, Set, Run.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, it could be said that running a marathon at a slower pace is in many ways harder than running it at a slower pace. I think it was Bill Rogers, one of the all time greatest marathoners who said something like, "I can't imagine how hard it is for people to run a 4 or 5 hour marathon. I've never run for that long in my life!" He was running marathons in only ~2:15, so he only "temporarily" had to deal with refeuling, heat issues, leg pounding, and mental hurdles, but not for over 4 or 5 hours. So to that person, who thought it wasn't worth it to compete, I think you are competing even harder in a lot of ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Meant to say: "Actually, it could be said that running a marathon at a slower pace is in many ways harder than running it at a FASTER pace."

      Delete