Sunday, August 12, 2012

Rotary Rumble 5K

Another 5K you say? OK here I come....


Got up Saturday Morning... Started with a fairly typical breakfast before running a race...
Bagel Thin
Peanut Butter
Banana

Then I made the trek down to Demotte for the Rotary Rumble 5K. This race is a fairly well attended race since it is a certified  RRCA 5K. I met my friend Bryan there and we headed out for a easy warm up run just shy of 2 miles. Then we chatted with a few friends before lining up. I always like to try to find someone who I know will push me through the race. My friend Bryan stayed with me to do just that.

They sounds the whistle and we were off and running. The race was full of cross country teams so the lead pack really lead off fast. I looked down at my watch as we made the first turn and saw 7:38 and thought to myself oh my god I am going to collapse if I don't slow down. So I returned what was a more comfortable pace.

We hit mile 1  in just over 8 minutes and I was still feeling really good.

I looked a the course map prior to the race so I knew there was going to be a turn before mile marker 2... what I was unprepared for was the couple of big hills.

So at Mile 2 it was well over 16 minutes and I knew it was really going to be close for a PR (personal record). My friend Bryan was telling me to push and I was really was feeling good until my hamstring which had been sore for several days really started to tense up again.

Once we hit mile 3 I knew it was going to be really close for me to get in the finish chute in under 26 minutes. I thought I could do it until another small hill came and I just didn't have it in me at the hill. I ended up crossing the finish line at
26:01
297th place
6 out 20 Age Group
I was really hoping to place in the top 3 for my age group because they give away wooden shoes at the race and I thought that was pretty funny. I felt good and race was completed.


After coming home I enjoyed my new favorite post workout meal thanks to my crazy awesome workout friend Jess: "Mancakes"
1/3cup Oats
4 Egg whites or liquid egg whites
Cinnamon and Splenda brown sugar (optional)
Perfect balance of Carbs and Protein.
Taste like french toast. You could add sugar free syrup, yogurt or applesauce as toppings.

What do you eat after working out to refuel?

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 5k. Sounds pretty hilly. The "Mancakes" look good. Anyway, I eat pretty much anything to refuel, but eggs toast and grapefruit seem to do the trick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shirt!!! After a long run, I like chocolate soy milk to tide me over until I have time to make something. Whatever I eat depends on what is in the fridge and what I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I'll make eggs, sometimes I'll just eat whatever leftovers I have from the night before, sometimes I'll luck out and my parents will be making something for breakfast or lunch and make enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pete... I do really like the mancakes.

    Maggie.. I got several comments on my shirt ;) I have been considering some sort of chocolate milk post run I may have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete