Monday, August 27, 2012

Race to the Taste Recap

Race to the Taste 

This weekend started off with a nice and hot 5 mile race at the Porter County Expo Center... A running friend Dan is the director so I really wanted to try out this race since I had never run it before.

I knew before the race even started that I was not going to perform 100%. Having too much fun the night before a run is very ill advised. I had wayyyy too much "fun" the night before. In fact I told many of my friends when I arrived that I was still feeling the effects from this "fun" I had the night before. Which of course made them all laugh as I tend to make people do.

They started the race near the back the Expo Center and we lapped around the Expo center and out on the road near the Expo center.

I quickly hit mile 1 around the 8:30 mark and I thought to myself ok maybe this won't be so bad.

It took me much longer to get to mile two and I knew that this was not going to be a record setting race. Just before the halfway point the sun was beating down on me and my stomach began to grumble. They marked the course to let you know that you were "halfway." Which I thought was really nice since it was mile 2.5... I really was feeling this race at this point. I was also about to die from the water not being cold but warm.

Mile 3 seemed to go by in a blur.... Somewhere between mile 3 and mile 4 I caught up to a runner that I knew pretty well Sylvia. We trucked along together until just final water stop. Once we made it to mile 4 I just kept telling myself one more.. one more...

Just after mile 4 I was just behind a runner named Dawn. She was doing me a favor and wearing really  bright clothes.... I just kept focusing on getting to the end behind her.

With only .40 of a mile to go Dan the race director recognized me and gave me the final push to the end.... you can even see some really scary photos of me by clicking here....

Place
Name
City
Bib No
Age
Overall
Total Time
Pace
1
KELLY COTTON

310
28
35
39:01.1
7:48/M
2
Holly Melton

356
26
36
39:05.7
7:49/M
3
MARIALENA NAGEL

363
29
59
43:32.0
8:42/M
4
Deanna Grimes

328
29
66
44:32.4
8:54/M
5
Marie Fessler

321
29
85
49:13.9
9:51/M


I know I could have done better but I am happy I finished and under the 9min/mile pace. Sometimes you do well sometimes you don't... I am just glad I went to the race and completed it. Plus they had really yummy Clif Carrot cake bars afterward.

What did you do this weekend?

3 comments:

  1. I think everyone had an "off" running weekend. Maybe it was the return of the heat. I had a cut-back week for marathon training ("only" 13 miles) and I realized even cut-back weeks should be taken seriously. It was a TOUGH run! I too blame the previous night's decisions for the toughness ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your 4th place finish! I just got back into running over the weekend, after taking four days off from a cold. It was nice to be back at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maggie and Pete... I guess we all just have blah running days.

    ReplyDelete