Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Big Brother

April Photo Challenge Day 4: Someone who makes you happy

This is my Uncle Shawn.
Uncle Shawn and Dee

You have heard the saying... The sister/brother I never had. That is exactly what my Uncle Shawn is to me. He is silly, fun and the best big brother/Uncle a girl could ask for. I remember growing up how he always teased me just like I was his little sister(this has not stopped). Yesterday on my blog I mentioned the importance of having a cheering section and support team. Uncle Shawn is one of my biggest supporters. He often jokes about how small of a person I am since I lost weight.





We are both huge Reds fans. He came to Chicago last year and went to a game at Wrigley... he is going to opening day tomorrow.... I am so jealous.



This summer he even rode his bike for almost nearly 6 miles of my half marathon in August. He did race ahead though to see me cross the finish line. I can't imagine very many Uncles being so supportive.


I always say we all have different reasons for needing to lose weight. My Uncle Shawn was diagnosed with diabetes as a very young child. I suppose I noticed but never really took notice until my weight loss. He has to be cautious of certain foods. I always feel like one of things I have truly learned from my weight loss journey is the importance of being healthy. Knowing that diabetes runs in my family gives me even more reason to remember the importance. Some day I hope to be able to use my running to help bring awareness and research toward the JDRF.

No comments:

Post a Comment