Sunday, March 4, 2012

Creating Habits

They say to create a habit you have to do to make a commitment to the habit and practice the habit. Then naturally it becomes a habit.

Photo Challenge Day 4: Bedside... which side do you sleep on?

We all go to bed every night and naturally get into the side of the bed we sleep on. We do many things every day because they are naturally our habit. Then overtime we have to develop new habits.

There was article published back in the fall when we were about to roll out points plus 2012 at weight watchers that interviewed our CEO David Krichhoff. One of ideas he discusses in the interview is picking a few things in our daily lives that we know we need to make into new habits and focus on those. We talk sometimes about having re-frame aspects of our lives. For example there are many times in my life when I have made every excuse not to exercise and now I do it without even a second thought. I am almost always training for another event that requires me to stick to a schedule and I do my very best to stick with it. Today a fellow runner couldn't meet me for our run because she had caught a head cold. I could have just stayed home and enjoyed a nice quiet Sunday morning since I had already prepared my breakfast when she sent me the message she couldn't make it. However I didn't. I finished my breakfast and set out for my run because that was my plan. I got my "run" (exercise) out of the way. I was able to enjoy the rest of the day without worrying about when I was going to get in my run. Although setting a running plan might not be a habit your are looking to create I often say that is this is a great metaphor for any habit. Most people cannot go and run a 26.2 mile marathon on a whim. However with proper training and will many can.





What is your "marathon" and what do you need to do to cross the finish line? More importantly can you? Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment